Subject: Re: Supercessionism

  • David Moore
    Message 1 of 1714 , Dec 2, 1995
      Tim Staker (Timster132@...) wrote:

      >I for one would like to encourage Jewish/Tanakh scholars to use this list,
      >since I really would like to learn more about TC of the Hebrew Scriptures.
      > It seems to be radically different from NT text studies, and I feel I could
      >learn a lot.
      > In seminary, when I was exposed to Jewish-Christian relations, I
      >discovered that using terms that are acceptable to both faiths helps to open
      >the door to such an opportunity of learning.

      > It's not such a matter of "giving up" our beliefs, but having a more common
      >point of reference.

      > Besides, we who are text critics know that there is some question as to if
      >Jesus did say KAINHS when referring to the DIAQHKHS he was making (Mk14:24;
      >Mt 26:28). the text of Paul clearly states KAINHS (1 Cor 11:25), and Luke
      >probably did (if you accept 22:19b-20, which I do).

      > The idea of a "new" convenant comes from Jeremiah, which is really a
      >renewal of the Mosaic covenant. I think the early Jewish Christians who
      >wrote the Scriptures could clearly have understood Jesus' covenant with them
      >in this sense, and that this covenant was expanded "for the many" (ie, we
      >Gentiles).
      > Indeed, the ancient Abrahamic covenant (which the Mosaic covenant is based
      >upon), intends the nations to be blessed.
      > It's the same story of God's grace toward us. As Gentile Christians,
      >we've seen it fully made known to us in the Jew called Jesus of Nazereth.

      > There's no doubt there is anitsemitism and supercessionism in the NT. But
      >the message of God's love for all is central.

      > After the Holocaust, and after years of Christians using NT passages as a
      >pretense for persecuting Jewish folk, meeting them half-way in using common
      >terms can help some in easing the fear and tension between us.

      > So on this TC-list, I would like to us to consider using inter-faith
      >terminology, NOT to be more PC, but so we can make this list a friendly place
      >for scholars of different faiths who have a lot to contribute to Biblical
      >text criticism.

      I think Tim underestimates most Jewish scholars in thinking that
      they might shrink at their Christian colleagues' use of terms like "Old
      Testament" and "New Testament." To pursue the myth that we can always use
      language that is acceptable to everyone cuts at the very heart of real
      dialogue. Isn't mutual respect a better basis than politically correct
      speech for achieving sincere, productive scholarly discussion?

      David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
      Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
      dvdmoore@... Department of Education
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997