KJV-onlyism and Talmud of Jmmanuel

  • James R. Adair
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 1997
      The tc-list is an open, unmoderated list devoted to the _academic_ study
      of the biblical texts. Although students and interested amateurs are
      welcome to contribute, it is expected that only serious tc-related matters
      will be discussed.

      Helge Evenson was asked on the list about his textual views, which involve
      unwavering support for the TR and KJV-onlyism. I think it has been useful
      to discuss this matter in some detail, and since he was asked directly,
      Helge was certainly free to express his opinion. However, the discussion
      has now gone on long enough on the list (although people are free to
      discuss the matter off-list, of course). KJV-onlyism is _not_ a
      legitimate scholarly position, since the fact that its evidential basis is
      non-existent is obvious to all but the most die-hard advocates, so it is
      not a legitimate topic for discussion on this list. As I said, I don't
      fault Helge for providing his opinion in response to a direct question,
      and I think it has been interesting for some who have little knowledge of
      KJV-onlyism to see it advocated by a pundit, but by now we've thoroughly
      covered the subject, so let's drop it.

      Concerning Jim Deardorff's _Talmud of Jmmanuel_, I have the following
      comments. The _Talmud of Jmmanuel_ was written by noted UFOlogist and New
      Ager Eduard "Billy" Meier (not the NT scholar Eduard Meier!), and it is a
      testament of his personal beliefs, masquerading as a recently discovered
      ancient document. Meier himself is an interesting character, born in
      Switzerland in 1937 and traveling Europe, Asia, and Africa for many years.
      He claims to have been contacted by aliens called the "Pleiades" on
      several occasions, and he also thinks of himself as the reincarnation of
      Jesus Christ. The _Talmud of Jmmanuel_ was purportedly written in Aramaic
      and translated into German. However, the German translation reportedly
      includes language taken directly from Luther's translation, the German
      standard. For more information on Meier (in Italian), see
      http://services.csi.it/~ufo/meier18.htm. The _Talmud of Jmmanuel_ is not
      a document that biblical text critics use, so references to it are not
      welcome on this list. Jim may, of course, continue to present his views
      of the development of the NT text on other bases, but the _Talmud of
      Jmmanuel_ itself is out of bounds for the list.

      Jimmy Adair, Listowner, TC-List
      and
      ---------------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu <-----------------
    • Jim Deardorff
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 1997
        On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, James R. Adair wrote:

        > The tc-list is an open, unmoderated list devoted to the _academic_ study
        > of the biblical texts. Although students and interested amateurs are
        > welcome to contribute, it is expected that only serious tc-related matters
        > will be discussed.

        > Concerning Jim Deardorff's _Talmud of Jmmanuel_, I have the following
        > comments. The _Talmud of Jmmanuel_ was written by noted UFOlogist and New
        > Ager Eduard "Billy" Meier (not the NT scholar Eduard Meier!), and it is a
        > testament of his personal beliefs, masquerading as a recently discovered
        > ancient document. Meier himself is an interesting character, born in
        > Switzerland in 1937 and traveling Europe, Asia, and Africa for many years.
        > He claims to have been contacted by aliens called the "Pleiades" on
        > several occasions, and he also thinks of himself as the reincarnation of
        > Jesus Christ. The _Talmud of Jmmanuel_ was purportedly written in Aramaic
        > and translated into German. However, the German translation reportedly
        > includes language taken directly from Luther's translation, the German
        > standard. For more information on Meier (in Italian), see
        > http://services.csi.it/~ufo/meier18.htm. The _Talmud of Jmmanuel_ is not
        > a document that biblical text critics use, so references to it are not
        > welcome on this list. Jim may, of course, continue to present his views
        > of the development of the NT text on other bases, but the _Talmud of
        > Jmmanuel_ itself is out of bounds for the list.

        As you wish, Jimmy, but the TJ is very relevant for anyone who looks past
        its false debunkings, because it is only a translation and an editing away
        from its Aramaic original.

        In just the little that you presented from Verga's web site, Jimmy, there
        are three terrible falsehoods, one plain error and a misimpression. There
        are web sites that speak out for the truth of Mr. Eduard A. Meier's
        experiences, which a sincerely interested person could visit.

        Jim Deardorff
      • REElliott@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 1997

          << In just the little that you presented from Verga's web site, Jimmy, there
          are three terrible falsehoods, one plain error and a misimpression. There
          are web sites that speak out for the truth of Mr. Eduard A. Meier's
          experiences, which a sincerely interested person could visit >>

          And yet you offer no evidence to back up what errors Jimmy may have
          committed.
          I don't wish to offend any, especially Mr. Meier, but since when does
          experience and sincerity equal truth as your statement (that begs the
          question) implies? Mormons make the same fatal error. Let's leave these
          things and continue on with scholarly examinations and exchanges of ideas in
          the area of NT TC.
          Thanks You
          Rich Elliott
        • Jim Deardorff
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 1997
            On Sat, 4 Oct 1997 REElliott@... wrote:

            > << In just the little that you presented from Verga's web site, Jimmy, there
            > are three terrible falsehoods, one plain error and a misimpression. There
            > are web sites that speak out for the truth of Mr. Eduard A. Meier's
            > experiences, which a sincerely interested person could visit >>

            > And yet you offer no evidence to back up what errors Jimmy may have
            > committed.
            > I don't wish to offend any, especially Mr. Meier, but since when does
            > experience and sincerity equal truth as your statement (that begs the
            > question) implies?

            Rich,

            I didn't expand on the falsehoods & misimpressions because the rest of the
            TC-List who spoke out aren't interested in any more discussion of text
            evidence that emerged only recently, lacks the origins scrolls, or that is
            sensational in character. The errors weren't Jimmy's fault; he was just
            paraphrasing from a debunker's website. In fact, I'm quite surprised you
            re-raised the issue. If you're sincerely interested, e-mail me privately
            and I'll give you the web sites and follow-up info.

            Jim Deardorff