re: "canonical" text

  • MoreCB@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1714 , Mar 25, 1996
      On Monday, Mar 25, James Adair wrote,
      "My point here is that the earliest scribes
      didn't view the works they were copying as scripture. Important, yes;
      authoritative, probably; scripture, not at first. Thus, they might not
      have felt as much compunction as later scribes about "fixing" the text in
      front of them."

      As a novice in the field(s), I ask, does such a statement discount1 Cor 14:37
      and 2 Pet 3:15, 16 (even if one relegates 2 Pet to the pseudepigrapha) as
      revelatory of early (i.e. pre- A.D. 200) reverential attitudes towards
      Pauline writings?

      Jim Woychuk
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997