The Sound of the Word (was: A Challenge)

  • Henry T. Carmichael
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 1997
      Vinton Dearing wrote:

      > ... -- Silva and Kirsopp used to
      > collate manuscripts by reading aloud to one another, and she
      > reported that often a monk studying nearby would "correct" what
      > she was saying. Such correction by memory must have been
      > possible as soon as people set a high value on the sacred
      > texts.

      I recall reading (Alfred Edersheim's "History of the Jewish
      Nation") that before the "Oral Law" was written down, there were
      men who had memorized the said law, and would be called on to
      recite a portion under discussion to help elucidate the meaning
      of the law. Apparently, the scholars found it easier to grasp
      the meaning of a passage on hearing it spoken than trying to
      recall the words themselves.

      Henry Carmichael
      htc@...