Re: Codex Phillipps 1388

  • Jean VALENTIN
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 1969
      A big THANK YOU to those who provided me with information about codex
      Phillips 1388 and the library in Berlin where it is located.

      Ulrich, thanks for the information about the article by Allgeier. I will
      check it the next time I go to Louvain. I the meanwhile, I had found this
      reference in Voobus' second volume of "Studies in the History of the
      Gospel text".

      I am studying another ms of the Peshitto, Sinai syr 2. According to
      Voobus, who doesn't give collations but only selected variants, there are
      much more old syriac variants in this ms. And indeed, after collating
      eleven chapters from Luke, I find the results really interesting. Most
      chapters have half a dozen or more variants that are old syriac - even
      sometimes that are not in the two old syriac mss, but are present in
      witnesses of the Diatessaron (if anyone is interested in samples...).

      According to Voobus, there are more of such mss. Is there really nobody
      anywhere working on a new critical edition of the peshitto NT? It's
      probably time to demonstrate that what the manuals are usually saying
      about its textual unity (very few variants etc...) is overstated.

      It's interesting, in this regard, to observe the shift in Voobus'
      attitude between his first volume and the second. In the first volume
      (1951), he lauds the faithful transmission of the peshitto and its
      textual stability, in the second (1987) he aligns hundreds of old syriac
      variants from dozens of mss that were not used by Pusey-Gwilliam...

      More about it later, probably...

      Jean V.

      Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
      e-mail: jgvalentin@... /// netmail: 2:291/780.103
      "Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complexe est
      inutilisable"
      "What's too simple is wrong, what's too complex is unusable"
      NISUS WRITER - the multilingual word processor for the Macintosh.
      Find more about it at:
      http://www.nisus-soft.com
      http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/humnet/nelc/grads/maschke/nisus_overview/toc.htm
    • David G.K. Taylor
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 1997
        A new edition of the Peshitta NT (and Harklean) is being produced by
        Barbara Aland and co at the Muenster Institut fur neutestamentliche
        Textforschung, "Das Neue Testament in syrischer Ueberlieferung" (W.
        de Gruyter). So far three volumes have appeared) containing the major
        catholic epistles, and Rom., 1& 2 Cor., Gal., Eph., Phil., and Col. I
        believe another vol. is on its way.

        I don't know about anyone else, but I would be fascinated to see some
        examples of your collations.

        David Taylor

        Dr David G.K.Taylor email: d.g.k.taylor@...
        Department of Theology, tel: 0121-414 5666
        University of Birmingham, fax: 0121-414 6866
        Birmingham B15 2TT,
        U.K.