Re: Collation against MT vs. TR

  • Maurice Robinson
    Message 1 of 1714 , Dec 1, 1995
      On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, Bart Ehrman wrote:

      > I for one
      > am convinced that Wallace is right (that there are real advantages to
      > collating against the MT rather than the TR), BUT, that we should
      > nonetheless not begin doing so. If we were to begin our discipline again,
      > from scratch, this would clearly be the way to go. The difficulty is that
      > we have *so many* collations already made and available against the TR,
      > that if we were now to shift to the MT, these older collations would be of
      > little use to us.

      > I'm firmly of the opinion that we should continue using TR, simply
      > for the sake of convenience and to avoid unneeded and unnecessary delays
      > in doing what needs to be done -- collecting all the textual data at our
      > disposal.

      Even as a pro-Byzantine supporter, I also concur with Bart Ehrman on
      this. In an ideal world, in which the early TR editions had in fact been
      100% identical with the Byzantine/Majority Textform, and all collations
      made since the earliest days had been against that base, there would be
      no problem in utilizing a Byzantine Text collation base. However, since
      the ideal was never realized, and the TR against which almost all
      collations have been made over the past two centuries differs from the
      Byzantine Textform approximately 1800 times, it is now far too late to
      attempt to move to a theoretically superior collation base.

      The other problem with Wallace's proposal is in the intention to utilize
      the Hodges/Farstad Majority text edition as that superior base. Although
      the H/F text is basically a reasonable "majority" edition from Matthew
      through Jude, the text of the Pericope Adultera and the entire book of
      Revelation in the H/F edition do NOT reflect a majority text.

      The Pericope Adultera in fact has NO "majority text" which could be used
      as the sole collation base, since the three main groups (Von Soden's m5,
      m6, and m7 each have between 29% and 31% numerical support). H/F simply
      chose to follow the m6 group there, based upon their own stemmatic
      assumptions (which are questionable), and there is no reason to suppose
      that minority group in any way significantly superior as a collation base
      for the Pericope Adultera than the minority TR text.

      In Revelation, the situation is even worse, since H/F utilized a
      stemmatic rather than a "majority" approach to construct their text of
      that book (using Hoskier's collation data), but their favored textual
      group (Ma) ends up being a group possessing only 19% support among the
      MSS of the Apocalypse, and this certainly would not aid matters if used
      as a collation base. My own edition of the hypothetical "Byzantine" text
      of Revelation (following Colwell's 70% texttype-specific cutoff limit)
      still does not resolve the problems where the Andreas and Q texts of
      Revelation (the two separate components of the Byzantine text of that
      book) are nearly equally divided. At that point my own decisions were
      made on the basis of internal evidence; but this then leaves a text
      which, though more "majority" throughout than H/F, nevertheless still is
      "minority" in possibly as many as 100-200 places within that book, and
      still unsuitable as a collation base.

      Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D.
      Associate Professor of Greek and New Testament
      Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
      Wake Forest, North Carolina
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997