Re: And the Winner Is....

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 4, 1997
      On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, you wrote:

      >Dear Mr Waltz
      >
      >Concerning the Fathers page, which I had some troubles to look at.
      >(You could add a backflash at the end of the URL on your signature,
      >just in case there are some other dummies like me.... :-)

      I corrected some errors in the HTML yesterday. Beyond that, all I can
      say is that the page works on my machine. :-)

      >> I will repeat my appeal: If you have anything to add, let me
      >> know.
      >
      >I have some suggestions
      >
      >a) concerning Epiphanius: I wonder if you could mention his _De
      >mensuris et ponderibus_ which was a fairly important "encyclopedia"
      >of biblical matters in Antiquity. The problem with the work is, of
      >course, that it is not completly extant in Greek any longer, but in
      >Syriac.

      Thank you.

      >b) concerning Origen: Is it so clear that he knew Hebrew? Sidney
      >Jellicoe in his "The Septuagint and the modern Study" (OUP, Oxford
      >1968) offers a discussion of the matter (pp 104-106) but does not say
      >how to solve the problem. Therefore I would suggest that you, instead
      >of "he took the trouble to learn Hebrew" would use something like
      >"perhaps he took..." or "it is claimed that he took..."

      Well -- he *did* produce the Hexapla. Conceding that his Hebrew
      may not have been perfect, he must have had some knowledge of the
      language to have attempted such a thing.

      >Oh yes, a typo: you have _Theodotian_, should be _Theodotion_

      Thanks.

      >c) concerning Theodoret: I think that the way you describe his
      >literary activity, does not give the reader the right idea. Because
      >you say that "In addition to writings on these subjects [=
      >christological debate] he wrote a commentary on the Pauline Epistles"
      >the reader thinks that Thdt did not wrote any other exegetical work
      >at all, but surely this is not the case. It may be the case that his
      >commentary on the Pauline Ep. is the most important work from the
      >point of view of the NTTC, but nevertheless you could say that there
      >are some other writings, like commentaries on the Octateuch and on
      >Kindoms and Chronicles [these are of importance in the TC of the
      >LXX].

      OK.

      >When discussing the use of Fathers in TC, you describe three problems
      >concerning the works of the Fathers. The first one is _not_ very
      >serious, I think, and you could even say that.
      >
      >You could perhaps also say that one of the disturbing things with
      >many Fathers is that the same author uses different wordings of the
      >same biblical passage in different works! The problem is, of course,
      >that it is difficult to know the reason for that and that it
      >is also very difficult to know the actual wording(s) the given
      >Father had access to. This has some relevance when we try to find out
      >the texttype the Father is using.

      I thought I had said that. :-) I will try to make it clearer.

      >> Also, a suggestion (or should I say an order?) from Matthew
      >> Johnson. He suggests that we need to list critical editions
      >> for all the fathers cited.
      >
      >Instead of compling such a list you could say that the list is
      >possible to compile by using a very usefull list of all the editions
      >of the works of the Greek Fathers:
      > Geerard, M (editor): _Clavis Patrum Graecorum_ 1-5 (Turnhout
      > 1974-1987)
      >
      >One needs only to check from a standard bibliography, like _L'Annee
      >Philologique_ or _Bibliographia Patristica_ if there are new
      >editions published since the Clavis came out.
      >
      >The most important editions are also mentioned in the patrology of
      >Altaner-Stuiber (the latest German edition appeared in 1993). The
      >English translation is outdated what comes to the editions.
      >

      >Hope you will find these suggestions of some value!

      I will try to find these books. I may not succeed; I have access to
      only one seminary, and I do not have loan priviledges. I also don't
      read German. (Remember, I'm a physicist and mathematician, not a
      linguist.) But I will try.

      And thank you for the suggestions.

      Bob Waltz
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 1997
        On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, I myself wrote to this list when I meant to post
        a private response.

        You have my apologies. I just assumed the original message was off-list.

        Bob Waltz