Matthew 12:47 and the Diatessaron

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 1997
      Matthew 12:47 ("But someone said to him, Behold your mother and your
      brothers are standing outside asking to speak to you.") is enclosed
      in brackets and given a grade of {C} for its inclusion. Although
      reasons for and against including the verse are interesting (and
      would be appreciated), the focus of my question is the following:

      My UBS4 lists the Diatessaron as a witness for inclusion. If it is
      possible that Mt12:47, if not original, is a harmonization to Mk3:32
      and/or Lk8:20, how can the Diatessaron, itself a harmony, be evidence
      one way or another on this passage of Matthew?

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
      scarlson@... : and songs chant the words.