Diatessaron query

  • Roderic L. Mullen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 1997
      The recent diatessaron discussion has reminded me of a question that I had
      upon first reading Wm Petersen's book on "Tatian's Diatessaron" (Leiden:
      Brill, 1994). Bill, please permit the question of a novice in matters
      diatessaronic. On pp.374-75 you discuss Quispel's second criterion for
      determining the likelihood of a proposed diatessaronic reading being
      original. If we apply this criterion strictly in reconstructing readings,
      would it not mean that the value of the diatessaron as an independent
      witness to the text of the canonical gospels is highly problematic at best,
      even though it is often cited in the apparatus to UBS4 and NA27? Perhaps we
      would have attestation of a stage in the gospel tradition, but it seems that
      hope of reaching an ur-text of the gospels with the help of the diatessaron
      would elude us. How would you assess this relationship? Interested to hear
      your reply, thanks-- Rod Mullen