Re: The book of Kells

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 1997
      On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, "William L. Petersen" <wlp1@...> wrote:

      [Re: Book of Kells]

      >Check the ODCC (Oxford Dict. of the Christian Church); see also Metzger's
      >EVNT, pp. 339-340.
      >
      >The MS is in the library of Trinity College, Dublin (A.1.6). It is an
      >elaborately ornamented MS of the gospels, of which many posters/photo books
      >have been made. Named after the monastery where it was written in Co.
      >Maeth. Considered the finest Irish MS extant.
      >
      >Facsim. ed.: E.H. Alton & P. Meyer (3 vols., Berne 1950-51). See further
      >refs. in the ODCC and Metzger. Many art books or general works on mss in
      >will show photos of it. Its text is Latin, Vulgate, with lots of conflations.

      If you want a *fast* look at the art, there is a photograph of part
      of a page on the Encyclopedia site. Look in the article on versions.

      The Book of Kells is usually cited in the Latin apparatus as Q. It is
      considered to have an Irish text, with a rather high number of conflations.

      Being such a fine specimen of illumination, there you can also find pictures
      in a lot of art books. (The meaning of that is left as an exercise for
      the reader. :-)

    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 1997
        Jim West wrote:

        > Could someone please tell me what the above mentioned document is and
        > what
        > it contains? I have only been able to ascertain that it is an 8th
        > century
        > NT ms.
        >
        > Is there an online edition or a print edition of it? If so, who is
        > the
        > publisher?
        >
        > Thanks ever so much.
        >
        > Jim
        >
        > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        >
        > Jim West, ThD
        > Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
        > Managing Editor, The Journal of Biblical Studies
        > http://web.infoave.net/~jwest/index.htm
        >
        > jwest@...

        Jim:

        Check out:

        http://www.osl.state.or.us/csimages/kells/bk2.htm

        Jack
      • Jim West
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 1997

          > Jim:
          >
          > Check out:
          >
          > http://www.osl.state.or.us/csimages/kells/bk2.htm
          >
          >Jack

          Thanks Jack- very useful.

          Jim

          Jim West, ThD
          Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
          Managing Editor, "The Journal of Biblical Studies" at