Re: The book of Kells

  • Kevin W. Woodruff
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 1997
      Jim:
      The Book of Kells is an illuminated gospel book, located in the Trinity
      College Library in Dublin, Ireland. It was probably begun at the monastery
      on the Scottish island of Iona in the late 8th century and after the
      Vikings raided the island probably finished in the early 9th century at the
      monastery at Kells in County Meath in Ireland. A facsimile was done in 1974.

      At 12:11 PM 7/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
      >Could someone please tell me what the above mentioned document is and what
      >it contains? I have only been able to ascertain that it is an 8th century
      >NT ms.
      >
      >Is there an online edition or a print edition of it? If so, who is the
      >publisher?
      >
      >Thanks ever so much.
      >
      >Jim
      >
      >+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      >
      >Jim West, ThD
      >Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
      >Managing Editor, The Journal of Biblical Studies
      >http://web.infoave.net/~jwest/index.htm
      >
      >jwest@...

      Kevin W. Woodruff
      Library Director/Reference Librarian
      Cierpke Memorial Library
      1815 Union Ave.
      Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
      423/493-4252 (office)
      423/698-9447 (home)
      423/493-4497 (FAX)
      Cierpke@... (preferred)
      kwoodruf@... (alternate)
      http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~kwoodruf/woodruff.htm
    • Kevin W. Woodruff
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 1997
        The facsimile is by Thames and Hudson and carries a London imprint

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 1997
          On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, "William L. Petersen" <wlp1@...> wrote:

          [Re: Book of Kells]

          >Check the ODCC (Oxford Dict. of the Christian Church); see also Metzger's
          >EVNT, pp. 339-340.
          >
          >The MS is in the library of Trinity College, Dublin (A.1.6). It is an
          >elaborately ornamented MS of the gospels, of which many posters/photo books
          >have been made. Named after the monastery where it was written in Co.
          >Maeth. Considered the finest Irish MS extant.
          >
          >Facsim. ed.: E.H. Alton & P. Meyer (3 vols., Berne 1950-51). See further
          >refs. in the ODCC and Metzger. Many art books or general works on mss in
          >will show photos of it. Its text is Latin, Vulgate, with lots of conflations.

          If you want a *fast* look at the art, there is a photograph of part
          of a page on the Encyclopedia site. Look in the article on versions.

          The Book of Kells is usually cited in the Latin apparatus as Q. It is
          considered to have an Irish text, with a rather high number of conflations.

          Being such a fine specimen of illumination, there you can also find pictures
          in a lot of art books. (The meaning of that is left as an exercise for
          the reader. :-)

        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 1997
            Jim West wrote:

            > Could someone please tell me what the above mentioned document is and
            > what
            > it contains? I have only been able to ascertain that it is an 8th
            > century
            > NT ms.
            >
            > Is there an online edition or a print edition of it? If so, who is
            > the
            > publisher?
            >
            > Thanks ever so much.
            >
            > Jim
            >
            > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
            >
            > Jim West, ThD
            > Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
            > Managing Editor, The Journal of Biblical Studies
            > http://web.infoave.net/~jwest/index.htm
            >
            > jwest@...

            Jim:

            Check out:

            http://www.osl.state.or.us/csimages/kells/bk2.htm

            Jack
          • Jim West
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 1997
              At 04:29 PM 7/2/97 -0500, you wrote:

              > Jim:
              >
              > Check out:
              >
              > http://www.osl.state.or.us/csimages/kells/bk2.htm
              >
              >Jack

              Thanks Jack- very useful.

              Jim

              Jim West, ThD
              Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
              Managing Editor, "The Journal of Biblical Studies" at