The book of Kells

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 1997
      Could someone please tell me what the above mentioned document is and what
      it contains? I have only been able to ascertain that it is an 8th century
      NT ms.

      Is there an online edition or a print edition of it? If so, who is the
      publisher?

      Thanks ever so much.

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      Jim West, ThD
      Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
      Managing Editor, The Journal of Biblical Studies
      http://web.infoave.net/~jwest/index.htm

      jwest@...
    • William L. Petersen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 1997
        Check the ODCC (Oxford Dict. of the Christian Church); see also Metzger's
        EVNT, pp. 339-340.

        The MS is in the library of Trinity College, Dublin (A.1.6). It is an
        elaborately ornamented MS of the gospels, of which many posters/photo books
        have been made. Named after the monastery where it was written in Co.
        Maeth. Considered the finest Irish MS extant.

        Facsim. ed.: E.H. Alton & P. Meyer (3 vols., Berne 1950-51). See further
        refs. in the ODCC and Metzger. Many art books or general works on mss in
        will show photos of it. Its text is Latin, Vulgate, with lots of conflations.

        --Petersen, Penn State Univ.

        At 12:11 PM 7/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
        >Could someone please tell me what the above mentioned document is and what
        >it contains? I have only been able to ascertain that it is an 8th century
        >NT ms.
        >
        >Is there an online edition or a print edition of it? If so, who is the
        >publisher?
        >
        >Thanks ever so much.
        >
        >Jim
        >
        >+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        >
        >Jim West, ThD
        >Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
        >Managing Editor, The Journal of Biblical Studies
        >http://web.infoave.net/~jwest/index.htm
        >
        >jwest@...

      • Kevin W. Woodruff
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 1997
          Jim:
          The Book of Kells is an illuminated gospel book, located in the Trinity
          College Library in Dublin, Ireland. It was probably begun at the monastery
          on the Scottish island of Iona in the late 8th century and after the
          Vikings raided the island probably finished in the early 9th century at the
          monastery at Kells in County Meath in Ireland. A facsimile was done in 1974.

          At 12:11 PM 7/2/97 -0500, you wrote:
          >Could someone please tell me what the above mentioned document is and what
          >it contains? I have only been able to ascertain that it is an 8th century
          >NT ms.
          >
          >Is there an online edition or a print edition of it? If so, who is the
          >publisher?
          >
          >Thanks ever so much.
          >
          >Jim
          >
          >+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          >
          >Jim West, ThD
          >Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
          >Managing Editor, The Journal of Biblical Studies
          >http://web.infoave.net/~jwest/index.htm
          >
          >jwest@...

          Kevin W. Woodruff
          Library Director/Reference Librarian
          Cierpke Memorial Library
          1815 Union Ave.
          Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
          423/493-4252 (office)
          423/698-9447 (home)
          423/493-4497 (FAX)
          Cierpke@... (preferred)
          kwoodruf@... (alternate)
          http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~kwoodruf/woodruff.htm
        • Kevin W. Woodruff
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 1997
            The facsimile is by Thames and Hudson and carries a London imprint

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 2, 1997

              Bill,

              Thanks!

              +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 2, 1997
                On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, "William L. Petersen" <wlp1@...> wrote:

                [Re: Book of Kells]

                >Check the ODCC (Oxford Dict. of the Christian Church); see also Metzger's
                >EVNT, pp. 339-340.
                >
                >The MS is in the library of Trinity College, Dublin (A.1.6). It is an
                >elaborately ornamented MS of the gospels, of which many posters/photo books
                >have been made. Named after the monastery where it was written in Co.
                >Maeth. Considered the finest Irish MS extant.
                >
                >Facsim. ed.: E.H. Alton & P. Meyer (3 vols., Berne 1950-51). See further
                >refs. in the ODCC and Metzger. Many art books or general works on mss in
                >will show photos of it. Its text is Latin, Vulgate, with lots of conflations.

                If you want a *fast* look at the art, there is a photograph of part
                of a page on the Encyclopedia site. Look in the article on versions.

                The Book of Kells is usually cited in the Latin apparatus as Q. It is
                considered to have an Irish text, with a rather high number of conflations.

                Being such a fine specimen of illumination, there you can also find pictures
                in a lot of art books. (The meaning of that is left as an exercise for
                the reader. :-)

              • Jack Kilmon
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 2, 1997
                  Jim West wrote:

                  > Could someone please tell me what the above mentioned document is and
                  > what
                  > it contains? I have only been able to ascertain that it is an 8th
                  > century
                  > NT ms.
                  >
                  > Is there an online edition or a print edition of it? If so, who is
                  > the
                  > publisher?
                  >
                  > Thanks ever so much.
                  >
                  > Jim
                  >
                  > +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                  >
                  > Jim West, ThD
                  > Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
                  > Managing Editor, The Journal of Biblical Studies
                  > http://web.infoave.net/~jwest/index.htm
                  >
                  > jwest@...

                  Jim:

                  Check out:

                  http://www.osl.state.or.us/csimages/kells/bk2.htm

                  Jack
                • Jim West
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 2, 1997

                    > Jim:
                    >
                    > Check out:
                    >
                    > http://www.osl.state.or.us/csimages/kells/bk2.htm
                    >
                    >Jack

                    Thanks Jack- very useful.

                    Jim

                    Jim West, ThD
                    Adjunct Professor of Bible, Quartz Hill School of Theology
                    Managing Editor, "The Journal of Biblical Studies" at