Re: Which ms did Erasmus use for Hebrews

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29 10:33 AM
      On Sun, 29 Jun 1997, Timothy John Finney <finney@...>
      wrote:

      >Concerning which ms Erasmus used for Hebrews, I do not think that it was
      >minuscule 2 (now 2315?). I transcribed ms 2 for Hebrews because I thought
      >it was the one Erasmus had used (or given to the printer to use), but then
      >I found that its text does nor agree with the Textus Receptus. (See the
      >ESCATOU/ESCATWN variant in ch. 1 for example.) I read somewhere (don't
      >ask me where) that E. used ms 7 for some of the Pauline letters. I
      >haven't checked to see if the text of this ms corresponds with that of
      >the TR in Hebrews.

      This leads to two questions:

      1. How many differences were there between 2 and the TR? Because, of
      course, Erasmus did not simply print the text of 2; he compared it
      with 1 and the Vulgate and perhaps 4 and 7. And then the printer
      added many errors. So unless the number of differences is quite
      high, it is likely that the TR is still *based on* 2, but with
      readings from the others.

      2. Which of Erasmus's editions were you using? Because, of course,
      Erasmus used additional manuscripts for his later editions.
      The only one based *entirely* on the short list of manuscripts
      above was the first -- which can hardly be compared to anything
      because of its high number of errors. :-)