Re: John 5:4

  • Jean VALENTIN
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 1969
      > The overwhelming majority of early Greek mss omit John 5:4. Do the
      >versions (particularly the Syriac and Arabic) contain this verse?

      As you already have answers about the Syriac versions, I will pass
      directly to the Arabic versions.

      I don't have copies of the Gospel of John in all the Sinai Arabic
      manuscripts for the moment: these copies are expensive for the moment and
      I'm gathering progressively. So my answer will be fragmentary. here are
      the datas I can give you concerning Arabic:

      (1) Sinai Arabic 71 (Xth cent.), as you already know from my previous
      posts, lacks this Gospel. The apparented lectionary Sin. Arb. 133 (1102
      A.D.) has both the second part of v.3 and v.4.
      As I mentioned, this lectionary, compared with Sin. Arb. 71, is probably
      revised from the Peshitto. As these verses are present also in the
      peshitto, we can't know whether they were already present in Sin. Arb. 71
      or were imported from the peshitto. We can presume though, as the text is
      present in codex Koridethi, that most chances are that Sin. Arb. 71 had
      it also.

      (2) The Alexandrian vulgate of the XIIIth century, as edited by Paul de
      lagarde from a Vienna manuscript, has this text. But it has critical
      notices, the one at the beginning of v.3 saying that "this is not in the
      coptic, neither in the greek", the second one before v.4, saying that it
      is not in the coptic.

      (3) Sin. Arb. 112 (dated 1259) which follows syp in the beginning of Mt,
      greek texts in other parts (and I've not explored it enough to say
      something about John) has also the whole verses 3 and 4.

      (4) Sin. Arb. 69, the oldest (in Sinai) representative of the official
      melkite version of the XIth century, mixing syriac and greek elements,
      has also the whole text.

      That's all I can say for the moment concerning Arabic! Specially, I
      couldn't verify the text in the earliest version, that of Sin. Arb. 74
      and 72, for the reasons I already mentioned.

      -----------------

      Turning to the Georgian versions, we find that (1) both the version of
      the Adysh codex (according to some probably translated from an old, lost
      Armenian version) and the versions of codices ABDE (from a Cesarean Greek
      text) have the whole verse 3, but not verse 4, and (2) the later georgian
      vulgate (revision of ABDE following byzantine texts) has both verses 3
      and 4.

      The armenian version as edited by Zohrab has the whole text of v. 3 and 4.

      All three mss of the syropalestinian lectionary have also the whole text
      of v.3 and 4.

      Jean Valentin - Bruxelles - Belgique
      e-mail: jgvalentin@... /// netmail: 2:291/780.103
      "Ce qui est trop simple est faux, ce qui est trop complexe est
      inutilisable"
      "What's too simple is wrong, what's too complex is unusable"