Re: Hos 11:1

  • James R. Adair
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 1997
      Fitzmyer doesn't list Hos 11:1 in his index of the DSS, and the Murabbaat
      scroll of the minor prophets begins with Joel 2:20, so I don't know of any
      scroll that contains this verse (but maybe Gene Ulrich or Curt Niccum
      do?). The MT reading BNY could of course be read as a plural "my
      children," and one could argue that a confusion between Y and W, either in
      the transmission of the Hebrew text or at the point of translation, led to
      a reading (or pseudo-reading) BNW, which _could_ be read "his sons."
      Although one would normally expect BNYW in Masoretic orthography, the age
      of Hosea (ninth century), plus its origin in North Israel (although, if
      memory serves, the fuller orthography developed first in the north, under
      the influence of Aramaic), open up the possibility of defective
      orthography. On the other hand, TA TEKNA AUTOU might be better explained
      as typical of the translation technique of the translator. Does anyone
      know of a study of the t.t. of LXX Hosea?

      By the way, since I mentioned Gene Ulrich, many on the list might not be
      aware that he is currently working on a handbook-sized edition of the
      biblical material from the Judaean desert, laid out in the traditional
      order of the Hebrew books. The title, as I recall, is the Qumran Bible.
      I'm sure he doesn't want to be deluged by e-mail messages asking numerous
      specific questions, but he might have time to update the list on the
      status of his work, and perhaps give us a projected completion date.

      Jimmy Adair
      and