new TC article: Steinmann

  • James R. Adair
    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 1997
      I am pleased to announce the publication of a new article on the pages of
      TC: "Jacob's Family Goes to Egypt: Varying Portraits of Unity and Disunity
      in the Textual Traditions of Exodus 1:1-5," by Andrew E. Steinmann. Some
      of you may have heard Andy present an earlier version of this article at
      the SBL annual meeting in New Orleans last year. Here is an abstract of
      the article.

      Abstract: Several textual variants are present in the various witnesses to
      the text of Exod 1:1-5 (MT, SP, 4QExodb, LXX). Although at first glance
      most of these variants seem unrelated and unimportant, a close reading of
      the text suggests that they are neither. One stream of tradition (MT, SP)
      contains variants that, taken together, stress the fractured nature of
      Jacob's family. Another stream of tradition (4QExodb, LXX) seeks to
      downplay the family differences.

      My thanks to Andy for submitting a fine paper to TC and to the TC
      editorial board for their support. Let me take this opportunity once
      again to invite members of this list to submit papers (either full-length
      articles or shorter textual notes) to TC for publication. We have a
      number of books that have been assigned for review, and we hope that they
      will appear on the pages of TC before long.

      Jimmy Adair
      General Editor of TC: A Journal of Biblical Textual Criticism
      ------> http://scholar.cc.emory.edu/scripts/TC/TC.html <-----