Attitudes and proof (Was: Re: Let it go?)

    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 1997
      On Fri, 02 May 199, Jim West <jwest@...> wrote:

      >I hate to disagree with anyone (!!!), but I find the discussion of Colwell's
      >ideas to be most interesting. Here we have an excellent example of how two
      >well intentioned, well informed scholars can read the same material and come
      >to different conclusions. Lets, for once, hash something out until a
      >consensus is reached.

      Let's hope. But we should probably warn people: I'm not exactly the
      orthodox type. I question everything. So chances are that I will
      usually offer unorthodox opionions, and Hurtado orthodox.

      The question is, how can we *settle* the matter? I'm having trouble
      myself right now. I just did two different statistical analyses on
      similar (not identical) data, and got significantly different
      results. (I'm still seeking the reason.) So we probably need to
      decide what constitutes proof....

      I, for one, groan with horror at the arguments that one will induce.