Let it go?

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2 12:25 PM
      I hate to disagree with anyone (!!!), but I find the discussion of Colwell's
      ideas to be most interesting. Here we have an excellent example of how two
      well intentioned, well informed scholars can read the same material and come
      to different conclusions. Lets, for once, hash something out until a
      consensus is reached.

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++
      Jim West, ThD
      Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
      jwest@...
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2 3:37 PM
        On Fri, 02 May 199, Jim West <jwest@...> wrote:

        >I hate to disagree with anyone (!!!), but I find the discussion of Colwell's
        >ideas to be most interesting. Here we have an excellent example of how two
        >well intentioned, well informed scholars can read the same material and come
        >to different conclusions. Lets, for once, hash something out until a
        >consensus is reached.

        Let's hope. But we should probably warn people: I'm not exactly the
        orthodox type. I question everything. So chances are that I will
        usually offer unorthodox opionions, and Hurtado orthodox.

        The question is, how can we *settle* the matter? I'm having trouble
        myself right now. I just did two different statistical analyses on
        similar (not identical) data, and got significantly different
        results. (I'm still seeking the reason.) So we probably need to
        decide what constitutes proof....

        I, for one, groan with horror at the arguments that one will induce.