Re: Studies in the text of Acts (was: Languages for specific biblical books in TC)

  • Matthew Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 1997
      On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Perry L. Stepp wrote:

      > Ken Litwak wrote:
      >
      > > Going back to D, I know the question of the text of Acts is very
      [snipped]

      > In a Ph.D. seminar on Textual Criticism, we've just finished (yesterday)
      > working through a series of monographs, most concerned with the 'Western'
      > text of Acts. My observations:

      [snipped]

      > 2.) Parker's *Codex Bezae: An Early Christian Manuscript and Its Text*
      > provides an extremely detailed study of the physical characteristics of
      > Bezae--the person who reviewed it referred to it as "an autopsy." The
      > detail is mind-numbing, the argument is difficult to follow, and the
      > reconstruction of the history of D seems to be a reach, at times.

      I am glad to see so many members of this list agree with me that this
      is a good book. My praise for this book might have sounded a bit
      exaggerated, but I praise it so highly because what you refer to as
      "mind-numbing detail", I consider the bare minimum to properly
      evaluate the quality of the copying work.

      Even this might sound exaggerated, and of course, this level
      of detail is not possible with many of the much smaller fragmentary
      manuscripts. But Parker's example remains an ideal even in those
      cases, as did Colwell's work.

      > 3.) Epp's *Theological Tendency* provides a solid foundation for the later
      > work of Ehrman, Parsons, et. al. This is a terribly valuable work,
      > although Epp's not always consistent with his methodology.

      Parker has the same complaint about Epp's work, and offers some
      promising corrections. But even Parker finds much useful in
      Epp's work.

      Matthew Johnson
      Waiting for the blessed hope and the appearance of the glory of our
      great God and Saviour Jesus Christ (Ti 2:13).

      PS: Is anybody on this list working on a similarly detailed work on
      minuscule 1739?
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 1997
        On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Matthew Johnson <mejohnsn@...> wrote, in part:

        [I'm going to ignore the question of the relationship between D and d,
        even though it seems obvious to me that the two are closely related --
        perhaps not translated from each other, but clearly assimilated --
        to get to the question I know more about.]

        >PS: Is anybody on this list working on a similarly detailed work on
        >minuscule 1739?

        What are you hoping for? We obviously can't compare its Greek and
        Latin sides. :-)

        But are you interested in a study of 1739, or of 1739 and its relatives?
        Birdsall's dissertation was a fairly comprehensive look at 1739, 0121,
        6, 424**, and 1908 in Paul. You should also study Zuntz on 1739.

        Gamble had something to say about it in Romans, but I don't agree
        with his conclusions (he completely ignored the relatives of 1739,
        which to my mind invalidates his conclusions).

        French scholars (Duplacy, Amphoux) have done extensive work on the
        Catholic Epistles, including studying Family 1739.

        The groups who are working on the text of Acts have also reached
        some conclusions, but I don't know what they are except that they
        have established the existence of a Family 1739 there also.

        Finally, I have been working on 1739, off and on, for about five
        years now. At the moment I amlooking at 1739's closest relatives in
        Paul (0243 and 1881, neither of which was known to Birdsall).
        It will be a while before I get all this material into shape, but
        you can see an outline of the information at my web site (URL
        below). I won't claim it's all you'll want, but it's what I could
        put together in a few hours. Look in the section on the minuscules,
        then go to the entry on 1739 and family 1739.