Re: Languages for specific biblical books in TC

  • Matthew Johnson
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 1997
      On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, William L. Petersen wrote:

      > At 12:16 PM 4/21/97 -0700, Ken Litwack wrote:
      [snipped]
      > > Beyond Greek MSS, however, which langauge
      > >would be next of importance? Latin, Syriac? Or am I mistaken in thinking
      > >that the particular text might determine which version(s) would be of
      > >most value?
      >
      > Since D is a bilingual, I would presume you would be interested in *both* of
      > its languages, right? That means Latin... Because of Bezae's strong

      Actually, as Parker points out in his fascinating book, "Codex Bezae",
      the Latin and Greek Texts of D are mostly independent.

      But Latin is still of great interest for Western texts in
      general, not just D, because of the Old Latin's close relation
      to the Western text-type.

      Matthew Johnson
      Waiting for the blessed hope and the appearance of the glory of our
      great God and Saviour Jesus Christ (Ti 2:13).