Re: Peshitta/Codex Antioch

  • Jean VALENTIN
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28 1:28 PM
      >This list has been suggested to me as a place where I could forward
      >this question.
      >
      >>>Can any of you scholars (or anyone else) give me a brief introduction
      >>>to the Antiochian Manuscripts. I am interested in who, when, and
      >>>where they were used prior to Erasmus.

      The subject line of this message suggests you are speaking about syriac
      manuscripts. In fact, when "scholars" speak about Antiochene manuscripts,
      they speak about Greek manuscripts that, according to certain theories,
      reflect a recension of the Greek text that was produced (IVth century?)
      in Antioch. It has become more usual, nevertheless, to speak of the
      Byzantine text. It is by far the text that is represented in the biggest
      number of Greek manuscripts (If I remember, somebody gave the figure of
      80 percent, am I right?).

      As to the peshitto, it is a syriac version (syriac = the Aramaic dialect
      of the Christians of Northern Mesopotamia). Though it was usually said -
      too simply - to reflect this same greek text, it is now recognized that
      it is a revision of older syriac texts, that had another textual base.
      The peshitto, though introducing in the syriac tradition many variants
      that lead to suppose that its revision base was probably something close
      to the Byzantine text, has kept an important layer of variants going back
      to the Old Syriac version.

      As an example, one day I made a study of Mt 23 in the Syriac tradition. I
      give the ciphers by memory, if some are interested, I will post something
      about it later with more precise data: of 25 variants that exist in this
      chapter in the Old Syriac version and that have no support from any known
      greek manuscripts, 8 are still present in the peshitto.

      When I say above that the revisors of the peshitto used "something close
      to" the Byzantine text, I say that because all the variants that are
      introduced - at least for this chapter - are also present in other
      eastern Greek mss (like 575 700 fam1 and fam13). The one or two variants
      that are found _only_ in the Byz text were not taken by the Peshitto. Of
      course, this is only a survey I made some time ago, but it gives me the
      impression that the popular idea that the peshitto is mostly Byzantine
      could be quite easily challenged.

      Jean Valentin - 58/7 rue Van Kalck - 1080 Bruxelles - BELGIQUE
      email : jgvalentin@... *** netmail : 2:291/780.103
      If love is the answer, would you please repeat the question?