majoring on minors, was Re: You must be kidding

  • dwashbur@wave.park.wy.us
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 1997
      Maurice wrote:

      > On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Jim West wrote:
      >
      > > A final thought on the thread. Note, if you will, that Professor Hurtado
      > > refuses to address me as Dr., even though he does address Dr. Robinson this
      > > way. This means, that since I do not hold an academic position, that I am
      > > not due the honor which others are who likewise posess an earned doctorate.
      >
      > I suspect this is reading more into the matter than is there, Jim.
      > Basically all of us in academia don't even use "Dr." among ourselves, but
      > are usually on a first name basis in our institutions and generally refer
      > to other scholars on a last name basis without titles attached, even in
      > scholarly articles.

      I tend to have the opposite problem, with too many people addressing
      me (generally in writing or email) as "Dr." when I don't have a claim
      to the title. I generally try to give a gentle correction (while
      sometimes light-heartedly thanking the person for the promotion!)
      because I feel guilty being classed with those of you who have paid
      your dues and earned the title. In general practice, I prefer to be
      "Dave" to everybody, whether scholars, acquaintances, or even
      children. As many have pointed out, it's hard to discern from his
      sig that Jim is a "Dr.", but I'm certain that omission of the title
      doesn't constitute a slap in the face. If, God willing, I ever do
      get my doctorate, I suspect I will still prefer to be called "Dave."
      It's just easier to say :-)

      Dave Washburn
      http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur/home.html
      "You're so open-minded that your brain leaked out."
      -Steve Taylor