LURKER'S VIEW ON RECENT TONE [ was Re: Academic Imperialism (An Outsider's View)

  • Robert A. Weiter, M.S.W., C.C.S.W.
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 1997
      Professor L.W. Hurtado wrote:

      > I'd like to join in condemning "academic imperialism", which I take
      > to mean the forcible prevention of a given view being circulated in
      > spite of the documentation/arguments in its favor. No question. Any
      > such prohibition would ruin scholarship and rob the term of any
      > meaning.

      Greetings,

      I have been a rather longtime "lurker" on this list (largely because all
      of exegetical and TC texts are packed away in storage in Missouri). I
      earned a theological degree from St. Louis University and also did
      M.Div. studies back in the early eighties at Christ Seminary -- Seminex,
      and worked in professional religious / theological education and did
      special graduate studies in the Department of Theology at The University
      of Notre Dame (1990). I currently editing the second edition of a
      Christology text which was written by one my former professors.

      For over ten years, I have been working as a psychotherapist / clinical
      social worker. I am highly respected in that field and have published,
      lectured and taught extensively -- particularly in Child and Adolescent
      Psychiatric Services, treatment of juvenile sex offenders, sexual
      orientation issues, and religious issues in psychotherapy and disability
      issues. Now that I am in the midst of "student in care" process within
      my denomination, United Church of Christ, and returning to seminary to
      complete M.Div. studies (in fall, 1997) as a prerequisite to Ordination,
      my interest in Textual Criticism has certainly resurfaced. (Theological
      study and discourse has always been my first love <grin>.)

      My reason for moving from "lurker" status right now is the recent
      extremely nasty tone which this mailing list has taken. I would expect
      much more mature and professional behavior from educated adults in the
      tradition of the "academy". A list such as this needs to take into
      account the various academic, theological and (to some extent) religious
      backgrounds of participants. If some folks want only those who are
      professional textual critical scholars to subscribe than perhaps a
      closed list for academics is best. (I belong to several lists which
      required proof of my professional licenses and qualifications before I
      was allowed to subscribe. In one case, I had to send a copy of my
      Indiana Health Professions License to a university.)

      It seems that what is accepted as scholarship or "debunked" often
      depends on theological or ideological positions of the various people in
      the discussion. This isn't only true in Biblical Scholarship, it's true
      in my other field, psychology / psychotherapy. I note by the signatures
      at the end of posts just how diverse the participants on this list are.

      I remember the aphorism by Rupertus Meldinius (Peter Meiderlin) written
      during the bitter theological disputes of the Thirty Years' War:

      In essentials unity,
      In perspectives liberty,
      In all things charity.

      The folks who have been particularly nasty recently, might remember this
      aphorism next time you want to flame.

      Yours in Christ,

      Robert A. Weiter, M.S.W., C.C.S.W.
      Indiana State (Licensed) Certified Clinical Social Worker
      Psychotherapist
      Consultation Assessment and Treatment Services
      18115 State Road #23
      South Bend, Indiana 46637
      "
    • Robert A. Weiter, M.S.W., C.C.S.W.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 21, 1997
        Robert A. Weiter, M.S.W., C.C.S.W. wrote:
        > and did
        > special graduate studies in the Department of Theology at The University
        > of Notre Dame (1990). I currently editing the second edition of a
        > Christology text which was written by one my former professors.

        Personal Nitpick:

        I'm SORRY - WRONG DATE. University of Notre Dame was 1991. <g>