Re: Codices for Teaching

  • Barbara Keats
    Message 1 of 1714 , Mar 6, 1996
      As I mentioned, I am willing to remain very humbly a "new kid on the block"
      -- I was only responding to the search for reproducible pages from a codex,
      not to the request vis. tc, which I did not pursue at the sites. Sorry if
      my message suggested anything beyond that.

      BWK

      >Kevin H. Grenier wrote:
      >
      >>2. I am also interested in people's opinions on the best text and reference
      >>books available on NT textual criticism. I would appreciate any comments.
      >
      >Barbara Keats wrote:
      >
      >>Although only a cursory search at this point due to time limitations, a web
      >>search on "codex" revealed a number of options. At
      >>http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/mss/overview.html produced an
      >>"interpreting ancient mss" web;
      >
      >The Brown site is one of the more clever uses of the Web and has some very
      >nice things on it. One caution however, the main section which has to do
      >with the principles of TC and the nature of "text-types" is based on a book
      >I had never heard of before and which contains statements which are--well
      >lets us just say as nicely as possible--debatable. For example, they
      >confidently assert that Lucian was responsible for the Byzantine text-type,
      >that the Cesaerean text has a certain provinence and character, etc., etc.
      >There are several things like that which many, if not most TC scholars
      >today, regardless of the view they hold, would not agree with. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

      >Dale M. Wheeler, Th.D.
      >Chair, Biblical Languages Dept Multnomah Bible College
      >8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
      >Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@...

      Dr. Barbara Keats
      Arizona State University
      Dept of Management