Re: Codices for Teaching

  • Dale M. Wheeler
    Message 1 of 1714 , Mar 5, 1996

      Barbara Keats wrote:

      >Although only a cursory search at this point due to time limitations, a web
      >search on "codex" revealed a number of options. At
      >http://www.stg.brown.edu/projects/mss/overview.html produced an
      >"interpreting ancient mss" web;

      The Brown site is one of the more clever uses of the Web and has some very
      nice things on it. One caution however, the main section which has to do
      with the principles of TC and the nature of "text-types" is based on a book
      I had never heard of before and which contains statements which are--well
      lets us just say as nicely as possible--debatable. For example, they
      confidently assert that Lucian was responsible for the Byzantine text-type,
      that the Cesaerean text has a certain provinence and character, etc., etc.
      There are several things like that which many, if not most TC scholars
      today, regardless of the view they hold, would not agree with. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

      Dale M. Wheeler, Th.D.
      Chair, Biblical Languages Dept Multnomah Bible College
      8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
      Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@...
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997