Re: P45 and SHEM-TOB's Hebrew Matthew

  • Alan Repurk
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 10, 1997
      george howard wrote:

      > connections, and alliteration, added a symbol for the Divine Name 19
      > times, inserted a number of subtle theological motifs that go back to
      > early Jewish Christianity, and then told his readers that the only
      > reason he was inserting the Hebrew Matthew into his treatise, the Even
      > Bohan, was so they could learn to refute it and crush the Christians.

      Does anyone have a satisfactory explanation for the inclusion of the
      tetragrammaton in the S-T, besides the obvious conclusion that he
      copied it from a Hebrew original ? It would seem to defeat the purpose
      of the S-T as a document which was intended to represent the Christian
      tradition for polemic reasons to add the Divine Name. Would not the
      superstition of this devout Jewish translator impose certain restrictions
      on him with regard to this name ?

      In looking at some of the old posts I happened to file away I found
      some quotations from a book by James Scott Trimm entitled
      "The Good News According to Matthew from an old Hebrew Manuscript",
      a translation and analysis of the 15th Century DuTillet manuscript.
      I have not checked these for accuracy and have not read the book, so
      I hope the original poster did his homework .....

      Sincerely,
      -lars

      Irenaeus (150-170 CE)"Matthew issued a written gospel among the Hebrews
      in their own dialect..." (Against Heresies 3:1)

      Origen (210 CE) "The first is written according to Matthew, the same that
      was once a tax collector, but afterwards an emissary of Yeshua the
      Messiah, who having published it for the Jewish believers, wrote it in
      the Hebrew." (Eusebius E.H. 4:25)

      Pantaenus... penetrated as ar as India, where it is reported that he
      found the gospel according to Matthew, which had been delivered before
      his arrival to some who had the knowledge of Messiah, to whom
      Bartholomew, one of the emissaries, as it is said, had preached, and left
      them that writing of Matthew in Hebrew letters." (Euseb. E. H. 5:10)

      Epiphanius (370 CE) "They (the Nazarenes) have the gospel according to
      Matthew quite complete, in Hebrew, for this gospel is certainly still
      preserved among them as it was first written, in Hegrew letters."
      (Panarion 29:9:4)

      Jerome (382 CE) "Matthew, who is also Levi, and from a tax collector came
      to be an emissary, first of all the evangelists composed a gospel of
      Messiah in Judaea in the Hebrew language and characters, for the benefit
      of those of the circumcision who had believed; who translated it into
      Greek is not sufficiently ascertained. Furthermore, the Hebrew itself is
      preserved to this day in the library at Caesarea, which the martyr
      Pamphilus so diligently collected. I also was allowed by the Nazarenes
      who use this volume in the Syrian city of Boroea to copy it. In which is
      to be remarked that, wherever the evangelist...makes use of the
      testimonies of the old Scripture, he does not follow the authority of the
      seventy translators, but that of the Hebrew."
      (Jerome; Of Illustrious Men 3)

      End note to a 5th century Aramaic Matthew (the Peshitta): "Completion of
      the Holy Gospel as published by Matthew; and which he published in
      Hebrew, in the land of the Palestinians."
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 18, 1997
        At 05:18 3/7/97 -0500, William L. Petersen wrote:
        >The article mentioned is by R.F. Shedinger; it has some errors in fact as
        >well as in its presuppositions. Additionally, it (inexplicably?) fails to
        >address points I raised in my review (in JBL 108 [1989], pp. 722-726) of the
        >first edition of Howard's book (which was titled *The Gospel of Matthew
        >according to a Primitive Hebrew Text* [1988]; the second, revised edition
        >is more modestly titled, *Hebrew Gospel of Matthew* [1995]). The remarks in
        >my review are self-explanatory, and supported by textual evidence; I am
        >preparing a critique of Shedinger's article for publication.

        My thanks to this list for pointing out both Shedinger's and Petersen's
        articles. My biggest problem with Shedinger's article is his use of
        P45's readings in Luke and Mark. For example, Lk11:13 is understood
        to be from Greek Q, not a Hebrew Matthew. So how does a Hebrew Matthew
        fit in?

        Petersen, p. 723, criticized Howard's first edition for presenting 21
        variants explanable on the presumption that Greek Mt is based on a
        Hebrew text. (Howard's second edition, which I have, handles this
        point better.) Petersen pointed out that requires the following assump-
        tions: (a) Greek Matthew depends on a Hebrew Matthew and (b) Shem-Tob's
        Hebrew Matthew is faithful to original Hebrew text of Mt. In my view,
        Shedinger's article requires the additional assumptions: that (c) Luke
        [and Mark!] too depends on Hebrew Matthew and (d) P45 is more faithful
        to Lk's Greek text.

        Stephen Carlson
        --
        Stephen C. Carlson : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
        scarlson@... : and songs chant the words.
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 19, 1997
          You do know the work of Bill Farmer (William R.) et al.? They posit
          Matthean priority in a form that includes Mark and Q and M material.
          They would love more grist for their mill! But it just won't work for a
          large number of reasons. Cheers! -- John Hurd