Heb 10:23 in KJV

  • Vinton A. Dearing
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 1997
      In 1611, hope and faith were synonyms; see Oxford English Dictionary,
      hope, first noun, sense 2, "feeling of trust or confidence." See also
      the OT in KJV, where the normal word for hope is rendered "trust" in
      Job 13:15 and Isa. 51:5, and the normal words for trust or confidence
      are rendered "hope" in Ps. 16:9 and 22:9. I think the KJ men chose
      "faith" in Heb. 10:23 for its sound, that is, to make a more sonorous
      sentence: "Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without
      wavering; for he is faithful that promised" -- pr, faith, w, w,
      faith, pr -- a perfect balance in the bass while h, f, th, h, f, th enliven
      the treble. The English Hexapla indicates that "hope," the
      translation in earlier versions, had assonated with "hold" in
      Wycliffe and Rheims, but not in Tyndale, Cranmer, or Geneva, which
      have "keep" and "hope." But the sound of KJV, "the noblest monument
      of English prose," has always been recognized as its great glory.