Heb 10:23 & ASV97

  • Mr. Helge Evensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 1997
      Since my "inbox" has not been directly invaded by messages from the
      tc-list lately, I decided to post two questions, which I hope will cause
      some response:

      1) In Heb.10:23 the KJV has "faith" where the Greek has "hope" (elpis).
      Some have asserted that the KingĀ“s translators simply produced this
      rendering due to their failure to distinguish between pistis and elpis in
      this instance. In other words, the translators just missed it here. But
      this seems very unlikely, in the face of the learning and skills of the
      many translators involved. Can anybody give a report on this??

      2) Lately I read about a new translation project (which is appearing on
      the Net) called the "American Standard Version 1997" (ASV 97). I checked
      Matthew 10:8 and found it to omit the phrase "raise the dead" (found in
      the old uncials and the TR) which means the "ASV 97" follows a majority
      text reading here. Is there anybody out there who knows about the project
      and its textbase??

      All responses will be appreciated!

      Thanks in advance.

      --