Re: KRABBATGON vs. KRABBATON

  • Carlton Winbery
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21 12:31 AM
      >Recently Carlton Winbery and I were discussing a reading in ms. 1346 (which
      >Carlton is collating) at John 5:7 in which KRABBATGON was read for
      >KRABBATON. Ms. 565 has the same variant reading (which I've collated), and a
      >couple of other mss. are listed in Swanson as having the same reading. In
      >discussing this, we postulated that perhaps the original was KRABBATION,
      >since LSL does not list KRABBATGON as a Greek word. (Also, knowing the Attic
      >tendency to discourage diminutives, the shift from the conjectured diminutive
      >to KRABBATON would be understandable, if KRABBATION was considered as a
      >possible reading.)

      By the word "original" we meant the precursor of one or more of these Mss
      that have the non-sense reading. Often among these minuscules the scribe
      will come off of a tau and make an iota by simply drawing a line straight
      down from the right edge of the tau. If he drug his pen going back to the
      omicron, he would make what looks in other places as a gamma
      unintentionally. I am in the process of checking as many places where such
      a mistake could have occurred. So far the use of KRABATON/TION in John 5
      is the only one I can positively identify. Next I will check and see what
      other phenomena tie these particular mss together in this part of John.

      Carlton L. Winbery
      114 Beall St.
      Pineville, LA 71360
      Fax (318) 442-4996