Re: Tape Attack

  • REElliott@aol.com
    Message 1 of 93 , Feb 8, 1997

      << >
      > Somebody said that these video tapes were being mailed out unsolicited.
      > Does anybody know how I can get my hands on one of these videos?
      >
      > Andrew Smith

      I think you could get one by taking a course in home economics ....
      -lars >>

      Gail, help. My Alexandrian rugs are clashing with my Byzantine curtains,
      what shall I do?? :-}
      LOL

      RE Elliott
    • Maurice A. O'Sullivan
      Message 93 of 93 , Feb 13, 1997
        At 21:46 12/02/97 -0600, "Ronald L. Minton" <rminton@...> wrote:
        >I cannot find why the KJV has "as Jesus sat" instead of "as he sat."
        >Does anyone know if they were following a form of Erasmus or other text?
        >I have four editions of the TR and none read that way.

        The possible ambiguity of "he" is well treated by Gundry in his
        _Mark: A Commentary on His Apology for the Cross_ ( Eerdmans 1993 )

        At p. 124 he writes:
        " The 'he' who 'was sitting' might refer to Levi. But the second half of
        this verse makes 'he' refer more naturally to Jesus, for otherwise there is
        no preparation for even being in the house where tax collectors and
        sinners dine with him and his disciples. In either case, by saving Jesus'
        name for tax collectors and sinners dining with him, Mark emphasizes the
        magnetism of Jesus.
        'His house' probably means Levi's house .........."

        It is interesting to see how the RSV leaves one ambiguity:

        " And as he sat at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners were
        sitting with Jesus and his disciples; for there were many who followed him. "

        as against the NRSV which chooses to clear it up with:

        "And as he sat at dinner in Levi's house, many tax collectors and sinners
        were also sitting with Jesus and his disciples--for there were many who
        followed him."

        In any case, what is important in this verse is that it is the first
        reference in Mark to disciples.

        Regards,

        Maurice

        Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
        mauros@...

        [using Eudora Pro 3 and Trumpet Winsock 3.0d ]