Re: spread sheet of variants

    Message 1 of 1714 , Jan 4, 1997
      On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, Robert B. Waltz wrote:

      > On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, "Ronald L. Minton" <rminton@...> wrote:
      >
      > >My students have helped me make a table (one 500 page chart) of all the
      > >variants listed in HF1&2, UBS3&4, NA26&27. I will let you know as soon
      > >as we have it transfered on to a spread sheet (Spring 1997 Semester).
      > >Right now the approximately 12,000 variants are not as valuable because
      > >we have to do manual calculations. Still, we can get some data. For
      > >instance the TR agrees with both Aleph and B some 300 times (3.1%)
      > >AGAINST the Majority Text. Ours is a statistical table that has take
      > >nine years to complete (97% done).
      >
      > Have you considered transferring this to a data analysis program --
      > or, failing that, a programmable database? It means you would have
      > to do a bit of simple programming to do your data modelling -- but
      > you would also be able to create much more involved (and, IMHO,
      > useful) statistics.
      >
      > I tried to set up a similar project in a spreadsheet about five
      > years ago. It just wasn't possible to produce the statistics I
      > wanted (e.g. for near-singular readings). The database gave much
      > more flexibility. It was also easier to read....
      >
      > I would hope you would keep us posted on this project, though. It
      > sounds like a useful undertaking.
      >
      > It shouldn't really come as a surprise to see the TR occasionally agreeing
      > with B and Aleph against the majority text. After all, in addition to its
      > Byzantine componets, the TR includes readings from 1 (with a large
      > non-Byzantine component in the gospels) and the vulgate (significantly
      > non-Byzantine throughout).
      >
      > In any case, the real question is, "Where the TR disagrees with the
      > Majority Text, what does it *most often* agree with?" Also, "What
      > does the TR agree with most often?"
      >
      > -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
      >
      > Robert B. Waltz
      > waltzmn@...
      >
      > Want more loudmouthed opinions about textual criticism?
      > Try my web page: http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn

      When comparing the TR of Stephanus, Bezae and Elzevirs, it was found that the
      Elzevirs TR was more similar in agreement to the Bezae TR than the Stephanus
      TR most of the time with regards to variants. Also, the Bezae TR seemed to
      have been the closest in Greek to the English King James Version. However,
      one cannot be most sure about this because the Scrivener TR text of Bezae was
      considered and the edition that was used did not mention and variants which
      most likely is found in other Scrivener TR that are not based on the Bezae
      TR but which were placed in the text to get as close as possible to the
      original King James Version underlying Greek. An estimation is that the
      TR in general may have 3/4 of it based on the majority text and about 1/4
      of it based on many other different texts whether minority Greek and some
      Latin translations. The goal is to find out in any given TR since they
      differ slightly what passages constitute this 1/4 and to make changes to it
      to get it in line if possible as a majority reading of the text. Even
      comparing the variations between the different TRs would be a start in
      finding what's what.
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997