Re: Byzantine editions (Was: Re: James)

  • Maurice Robinson
    Message 1 of 1714 , Jan 3, 1997
      On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, Jim West wrote:

      > >The problem is that for many years Dallas Seminary itself reprinted and
      > >used the Oxford 1825 TR, and that is what H/F used. Virtually no one else
      > >(including myself) can find a copy of that specific edition anywhere,
      > >since Dallas Seminary no longer prints it. Note that the IGNTP uses its
      > >own reprinted fascicles of the Oxford 1873 TR, which itself would be
      > >difficult to locate apart from IGNTP making its own reprints for internal
      > >use.
      >
      > I don't know if this is what you want- but the TR is indeed available in the
      > States. I will try to find out the publisher Monday- but I think it is
      > somewhere in TN. I got a copy last year.

      Even if the Oxford 1825 TR might be available in print (it is a public
      domain text in any case), there really is _no_ reason for anyone to use it
      for collation or other purposes, since it does not conform to the Stephens
      1550 or Elziver 1633 TR, let alone to the IGNTP's Oxford 1873 edition
      which -- if anything -- should be the "standard" TR for text-critical
      purposes. I would not myself recommend anyone to obtain the Oxford 1825
      edition, since no collation or other data will be based upon such, even if
      made in the 1800s.
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997