Re: Byzantine editions (Was: Re: James)

    Message 1 of 1714 , Jan 3, 1997
      On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, "Ronald L. Minton" <rminton@...> wrote:

      >Dr. Waltz, very good summary, I also add my $0.02 :)

      Just have to remind everyone that I am not a doctor, nor even a
      seminarian. Just a person trained in Physics and Math and gifted (?)
      with a bog mouth (or, in this case, keyboard).

      >> TR = Textus Receptus. An edition substantially identical to that which
      >> Erasmus published in the early sixteenth century. The most widely
      >> mentioned TR editions are those of Stephanus, Beza, Elzevir, and the
      >> Oxford edition of 1873.
      >
      >The Oxford 1825 was used by H&F, so has become a convenient TR used by many.

      The Oxford editions are the basis for most recent collations. And
      it's a good thing that H&F list their readings, because they aren't
      easy to find any more!

      >> >Majority Text
      >> The text found in the majority of manuscripts. Usually the same as
      >> the TR, but there are some thousands of differences. (E.g. the
      >> Majority Text does not include the Three Heavenly Witnesses in 1 John 5.)
      >
      >c. 1850 differences.

      That's the number of differences that Wallace finds between the TR and
      H&F. But I would note that H&F is *not* the Majority Text; it's a
      preliminary edition. It's based mostly on von Soden.

      At this time, with so many manuscripts uncollated, we don't actually
      *know* the reading of the Majority Text at some points. There are
      probably a few places where H&F (or Robinson) print a reading which
      is not a majority reading. I would guess there are fewer than a hundred
      such, but there are undoubtedly some.

      >> >Byzantine Text
      >>
      >> This is more difficult. It could mean the Majority Text. It could mean
      >> the text used in Byzantium. I personally tend to use it to refer to the
      >> original form of the text which eventually evolved into the Majority
      >> Text. This text probably, but by no means certainly, evolved in
      >> Byzantium. (BTW -- I use the term "Byzantine Text" in this way not
      >> because this is necessarily the best meaning, but because we need
      >> *some* name for this text.)
      >
      >I think of the Byz text as a textual family or text type, ie the
      >hypothetical text behind the majority of manuscripts.

      I agree.

      >Other names that are sometimes used for the above are: Received Text,
      >Ecclesiastical Text, Syrian Text, "A" Text, Antiochan Text, Common Text,
      >Traditional Text

      I hereby propose, though, that we stick with "Byzantine text." It's
      one of the oldest names, and it's less confusing than, say, Hort's
      "Syrian text."

      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997