Byzantine editions (Was: Re: James)

    Message 1 of 1714 , Jan 2, 1997
      On Thu, 2 Jan 1997, "Amy Anderson" <ANDERASA@...> wrote:

      >In reference to the bit of discussion recently on the differences
      >between TR and Majority text, etc., could someone provide a simple
      >definition of the following terms which helps to keep them
      >differentiated? I mean, really simple, like no more than 4 sentences
      >per term.
      >
      >TR

      TR = Textus Receptus. An edition substantially identical to that which
      Erasmus published in the early sixteenth century. The most widely
      mentioned TR editions are those of Stephanus, Beza, Elzevir, and the
      Oxford edition of 1873.

      >Majority Text

      The text found in the majority of manuscripts. Usually the same as
      the TR, but there are some thousands of differences. (E.g. the
      Majority Text does not include the Three Heavenly Witnesses in 1 John 5.)

      When the reference is to a particular *book*, it will usually be to the
      edition by Hodges & Farstad.

      >Byzantine Text

      This is more difficult. It could mean the Majority Text. It could mean
      the text used in Byzantium. I personally tend to use it to refer to the
      original form of the text which eventually evolved into the Majority
      Text. This text probably, but by no means certainly, evolved in
      Byzantium. (BTW -- I use the term "Byzantine Text" in this way not
      because this is necessarily the best meaning, but because we need
      *some* name for this text.)

      The term should not be, but often is, equated with the TR.

      >Koine Text

      Refers technically to Von Soden's K text, which is more or less the
      Byzantine text. However, the term is often used loosely for any of
      the above three texts.

      >The next question would be if all/most text critics agree on these
      >definitions....

      I think I've covered that. Everyone agrees about "TR." Almost all
      would agree about "Majority Text." The other two are fuzzier.

      I hope this helps.

      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997