Re: Isa 13:16 in IQisa

  • David Washburn
    Message 1 of 1714 , Feb 11, 1996

      > > The second problem is more cultural--I assume. In the MT of Isa 13:16 is
      > > the rather rare root $gl meaning "to violate, ravish" (BDB 993b); that
      > > is, "to rape." Because of its supposedly obscene meaning, the word is
      > > glossed with the Qr $kb, "to lie with" (and as found in Targum
      > > Jonathan). In IQisa, however, the word is smudged (?) out leaving only
      > > t---nh (cf. Scrolls from Qumran Cave I, J.C. Trever, plate XI). Is there
      > > evidence of a seemingly prudish tradition at Qumran? Or, am I reading
      > > too much into a "coincidental" smudge?

      Several words above and below this word seem to be smudged, as well. I'm
      looking at the same plate you referenced, and there is what appears to be
      a water stain or some sort of spill in that general area, beginning 3 or
      4 lines above the word in question and fanning out down to the bottom of
      the page. It looks accidental to me.

      > Kutscher does not mention this one in his list of erasures (p531f.).
      > This tradition of glossing $gl with $kb occurs in other places (e.g. Ruth
      > 3:4, Jeremiah 3:2, Zechariah 14:2). Have you checked to see if any of
      > these passages were found among the Qumran scrolls?

      Isa 13:16 is preserved also in 1QIsa(b), but I don't have the photo
      available. It appears in E. L. Sukenik, "Dead Sea Scrolls of theHebrew
      University." I have not found Ruth 3:4 among the DSS; likewise for
      Jeremiah 3:2 and Zech 14:2. But my listing is only current through DJD 9.
      I'm working on getting the newest volumes (not easy in rural Wyoming) and
      getting this book published one of these days...

      --
      Dave
      http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur/home.html
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997