James/Text und Textwert

  • Timster132@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1714 , Nov 27, 1995
      On Tue, 21 Nov 1995, Jeff Kloha wrote:

      > I am beginning work on a STM thesis on the text of James. Fresh
      > collations are being made of the papyri and available uncials.
      > However, I need a selection of representative minuscules to consult.
      > The first volumes of the _Text und Textwert_ series analyze the
      > Catholic Epistles. My question is: While the volumes present
      > exhaustive studies of relationships among manuscripts in the "test
      > passages", has any work been published using this data to determine
      > exactly which manuscripts fall into special groupings?

      For a small book such as James, I can understand your reticence on relying
      on profile methods to determine text type. I'd suggest examining a textual
      apparatus or two of James and make a note of how the miniscule mss fall in
      line.
      I am sure you will want to consider 33 and 81.

      >Have the Alands or their Institut produced any classifications of
      manuscripts,
      >or have they simply supplied the data and left individuals to use their own
      > theories to group manuscripts (e.g., Colwell's multiple readings or
      > the Profile Method)?

      There is a list of catagories in the Alands' _The Text of the New
      Testament_, pp 156-159, 1987 ed.
      I picked out *some* in the Alands list that I noticed are textual
      witnesses in James. (Look at their book for more info):

      Catagory I (Alex): 33, 1241, 1739
      Catagory II/mixed: 81, 323
      Catagory III/independent: 88, 398 (cath), 623, 2495
      Catagory IV/Beza: none
      Catagory V: 'M' in text apparatus

      I hope this gets you started or is what you were looking for.

      Tim Staker
      Timster132@...
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997