Re: Suffixes at Qumran

  • Andrew Gross
    Message 1 of 1714 , Feb 11, 1996
      On Sat, 10 Feb 1996, Richard Weis wrote:

      > 10 February, 1996,
      >
      > In addition to Andrew Gross's comments in reply to Mark and Beth
      > LaRocca-Pitts, one might add two things.
      >
      > 1. -hmh is a very common Qumran substitute for the suffix -hm. Likewise
      > -hnh for -hn, -kmh for -km, etc..
      >
      > 2. In general, a more up-to-date reference for the grammar of Qumran Hebrew
      > than Kutscher is Elisha Qimron's _The Hebrew of the Dead Sea Scrolls_ (HSS,
      > 29; Atlanta: Scholars, 1986).
      >
      > Richard Weis

      One thing to keep in mind when using Qimron's grammar is that he only
      covers the non-Biblical Hebrew texts from Qumran. I believe the idea was
      to isolate features of "Qumran" Hebrew as distinct from Classical Hebrew.
      I'm not knowledgable enough to say whether or not the tradents (or is it
      "tradants"?) at Qumran used a more "conservative" (keeping in mind the
      potential anachronisms of using such a word in this context) orthography
      for the Biblical texts than for the other Hebrew texts found at Qumran.

      For what it's worth, Emanuel Tov does says this, "Although there is no
      characteristic representative of this group, 1QIsa(a), which contains the
      longest Qumran text of a Biblical book and whose practice is described
      thoroughly by Kutscher, is often referred to (incorrectly) as if it were
      the main text written in the Qumran practice."

      cheers,

      andrew gross
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997