Re: Textual Criticism Theories

  • rachel@ms1.hinet.net
    Message 1 of 1714 , Apr 17, 2002
      In <v03007800ae9334672618@[199.86.40.77]>, on 10/22/96
      at 07:54 PM, "Robert B. Waltz" <waltzmn@...> said:

      >On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Hubert Arthur Bahr III <hbahr3@...>
      >wrote:
      >>I am also confused as to why those who prefer the Byzantine text type
      >>should be a seperate group from those who prefer a particular text type.

      >There is a similarity between the two classes, but there is also a
      >difference. Two differences, in fact.

      >First, the majority of those who prefer the Byzantine text prefer it on
      >theological grounds ("God must consider the Byzantine text right, of
      >(s)he would not have made so many copies") or on numerical grounds ("it's
      >the majority; it must be right"). There are, of course, exceptions (so
      >don't say it, Maurice), but this is how most Byzantine prioritists feel.
      >The proponents of the other text, by contrast, make their choice based on
      >some perceived "inner excellence" (obviously a subjective matter).

      Hey! Do not leave this lurker out either..... <grin>
      Altho I am not a heavyweight in this discussion I still have done some
      reading ya know..... <grin>
      I certainly do not accept the Byz priority due to theological grounds!! I
      started reading Kurt Aland material and Weiss <sp?> material and started
      in on other material until it started getting too time consuming and over
      my head ..... Then I met Maurice Robinson and started corresponding with
      him. He gave me some extremely valuable suggestions and ideas. I concur
      that most of the TC theories are a matter of subjectivity since most of
      the data is interpreted in different fashions according to their
      respective theories much like that done in Biblical debates. BUT I do not
      intend to mean that all of the scholarship and study is by nature
      subjective. No not at all. It is just that I personally contend that each
      theory has it's own sphere of influence. After reading Maurice Robinson's
      material and discussing some points with him I decided that it made the
      most reasonable case...... <big grin> Now obviously I can not hold a
      candle to most if not all of the great people on this list!! And should
      someone want to challenge my post --
      Oh Woe is me...... What can I do?????? <grin>
      Each of us makes our decisions based upon many factors, right??
      Therefore until something comes along that makes better sense than
      Maurice Robinson's viewpoint then I will continue to support his position.
      Subjective ? some..... <but then aren't most opinions that way? <grin>
      Lurk mode on ....

      rachel@...
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997