Re: Isa 13:16 in IQisa

  • Andrew Gross
    Message 1 of 1714 , Feb 10, 1996
      On Thu, 8 Feb 1996, Mark and Beth LaRocca-Pitts wrote:

      > I am doing a text-critical reading of Isa 13-14 and ran across a couple
      > of interesting problems with the IQisa rendering of Isa 13:16. One
      > problem is grammatical and the second is cultural(?). The gram. problem
      > is as follows: in IQisa 13:16 there are two different third plural masc.
      > pronominal suffixs. There is the expected -hm on 'ynyhm ("their eyes")
      > and on btyhm ("their houses"). However, on two other words is an
      > unexpected -hmh, where orthographically the mem is not final. This -hmh
      > ending is seen on 'wlylyhmh ("their children") and on n$yhmh ("their
      > wives"). How can this be explained? Have I missed something in my
      > training, or more likely forgotten something?

      Your best bet for getting a good answer to this question is to see what
      E. Y. Kutscher has to say in his volume _The Language and Linguistic
      Background of the Isaiah Scroll_ (Brill, 1974). See especially pp.449f.

      In evaluating Qumran variants from a text critical point of view, you
      should also see what Emanuel Tov has to say, _Textual Criticism of the
      Hebrew Bible_ (Fortress, 1993).

      > The second problem is more cultural--I assume. In the MT of Isa 13:16 is
      > the rather rare root $gl meaning "to violate, ravish" (BDB 993b); that
      > is, "to rape." Because of its supposedly obscene meaning, the word is
      > glossed with the Qr $kb, "to lie with" (and as found in Targum
      > Jonathan). In IQisa, however, the word is smudged (?) out leaving only
      > t---nh (cf. Scrolls from Qumran Cave I, J.C. Trever, plate XI). Is there
      > evidence of a seemingly prudish tradition at Qumran? Or, am I reading
      > too much into a "coincidental" smudge?

      Kutscher does not mention this one in his list of erasures (p531f.).
      This tradition of glossing $gl with $kb occurs in other places (e.g. Ruth
      3:4, Jeremiah 3:2, Zechariah 14:2). Have you checked to see if any of
      these passages were found among the Qumran scrolls?

      > Thanks for the forum in which I can ask these questions.

      Actually, the "hardcore" text critics are over on the Textual Criticism
      list, and so I have cross-posted my response there. ;-)

      > Mark A. LaRocca-Pitts
      > laroccap@...

      andrew gross
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997