Re: Textual Criticism

  • Carlton Winbery
    Message 1 of 1714 , Feb 10, 1996
      This is in answer to a post from Rachel off list. I hope its ok if I put
      it on-line.

      >But I wonder why is there is so much hull-a-ba-loo
      >over the Maj T. It seems like the conservative spectrum is really
      >getting excited over it. I like and read Gordon Fee's articles and
      >books (have not finished some yet..... )
      >But some even feel that anyone who goes along with the TC tradition
      >is suspect (of liberalism... humanistic feminism.... and any other
      >bogeyman...)
      >Why is the Byzantine text type hyped so much?

      My first response to your question is that there are several reasons. One
      is that some have sold the Majority Text (MT) as the equivalent of the text
      behind the King James Version. In fact the dust cover of The Greek NT
      according to the Majority Text has a statement to that effect. "The
      Majority Text, similar to the kind of text found in the King James Version,
      has never before been printed." After that statement few people among the
      right wing of Evangelicalism ever noticed other disclaimers in the
      introduction to the text. In fact I've had several people call me and ask
      if I used the Greek text behind the KJV. When I replied that I did not
      have a copy of the Beza text, they asked, "who was Beza?"

      >Do you agree that the Alexandrian text type was
      >influenced by the theological debates at that time?

      I can only reply that all mss are corrupt. The Alexandrian scribes tended
      to make grammatical corrections (not updating the language like the
      Byzantines) and in some places show a tendency to clarify statements that
      are used in theology. There are Byzantine readings that seem to do more in
      that direction.

      >Lastly if the Maj Text and the Nestle-Aland (or
      >the Alexandrian text type) are nearly identical
      >what are the reasons for the small difference?

      All texts have about 90% agreement, but the vast majority of NT mss are
      Byzantine and these are further from the early papyrii and uncials than
      from other texts or mss that cannot be text-typed. The refinements of
      Aland in typing mss as level 1, level 2, etc. is long needed. There are
      major differences, as mss go, between the MT as edited by Hodges and the
      UBS or Nestle-Aland. I did a review of the MT of Hodges when it first came
      out and one of the things I did was show that it was not the Textus
      Receptus on which the KJV was based.

      >Of course I know that I should read the articles
      >below before asking these questions (which I will
      >start looking at tonight....;)
      >but I just need a brief comment from you or another.
      >My way of studying the biblical text is too go at it
      >myself first, doing inductive study, create my hypothesis about what
      >the text means, how to apply it, and then
      >I start reading lots and lots of other stuff to see where my
      >"intuition" leads me. Actually intuition may not capture what I mean
      >but there is a distinct impression that when I read something or
      >start building something that it "jells together"? Things seem to
      >fall into place and I am able to build a conviction (flexible to be
      >changed if necessary later on....)

      My word of caution is "Check it out." Don't accept any conclusion without
      checking not only the egs. cited but contra egs. that you can find in other
      sources. There is no substitute for reading mss in the process of learning
      to apply the canons of TC. When you have mastered the subject of reading
      mss, what scribes did and the mass of info about types of mss, you are only
      just beginning. You still have to study Pauline style, etc., current Greek
      style, history and social environment, ecclestical demands, local means of
      controling mss production, theological and canonical developments, and
      several other disciplines. Hence, most of us are not bold enough to call
      ourselves NT Textual Critics, but prefer to say we hope to be someday.

      >Thus this is why I am asking you or Conrad or another
      >that I consider to be a reliable source. (Of course I do not really
      >know you very well but I sure like your attitude...... :) And I
      >appreciate your responses.....
      >BTW if you are ever in Asian drop by over here and Me and my family
      >will show you around.....
      >You can even try out Hakkanese food..... ;)
      >
      >Of course I hope you get here before Beijing does.......

      Thanks, you never know. I have an adopted son whose relatives live in
      Taiwan. He was born in Viet Nam and got out with the boat people.
      Grace,

      Carlton Winbery
      Chair Religion/Philosophy
      LA College,