Re: More on 2427, family resemblances

  • Maurice Robinson
    Message 1 of 1714 , Nov 3, 1996
      On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Jack Kilmon wrote:

      > 11Q New Jerusalem fragment 14 speaks of seven crowns (Rev 4:4-5)
      > and fragment 17, seven bowls. Almost certainly the primary hope for
      > the discovery of the DSS was finding "Christian writings" but the very
      > idea is an anachronism. With the exception of 7Q5, which I believe
      > is genuinely a fragment of Mark1 (perhaps the autograph), ...

      I continue to be amazed at any acceptance of 7Q5 being identified with a
      NT fragment, when (a) the amount of text is too small for positive
      identification; (b) one must postulate a delta > tau shift in the
      middle of a word on the analogy of Coptic (where such shifts are
      predominately at the beginning of a word); and (c) a hitherto unknown
      variant reading must also be postulated for the claim to work.

      Why anyone (O'Callaghan or anyone else) would want to try to build or
      support a 7Q5 = Markan fragment hypothesis upon such hypothetical and
      questionable ground when accepted fragments such as p52 brook no doubts
      whatever as to their identity remains puzzling to me.

      Is there some hidden need to have an "autograph" or close to autograph
      fragment of Mark's gospel? If so, I would hardly think the sands of
      Egypt, especially outside of Alexandria, would be the likely place. And
      even if it were clearly a Markan fragment, the early data would only prove
      an early origin for Mark (which I can hold even without the 7Q5
      identification), but still would say nothing about the autograph. As I
      told O'Callaghan years ago, his supposed fragment of 1 Timothy has more to
      commend itself -- but that would make the pastorals far too early, as even
      O'Callaghan recognized.

      I personally accept none of either O'Callaghan's or Thiede's
      identifications (which probably might be opposite to what some people
      might think a pro-Byzantine person might hold).

      Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D. Professor of Greek and New Testament
      Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary Wake Forest, North Carolina
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997