Re: Hort's prejudice against the TR

  • Maurice Robinson
    Message 1 of 1714 , Nov 3, 1996
      On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Robert B. Waltz wrote:

      > I can't see that it's relevant, though; Hort had, obviously, seen the
      > TR, and I believe the edition of Tregelles, which showed some of the
      > weaknesses of the TR. (I could be wrong about which edition Hort saw;
      > it could have been Lachman or one of the early works of Tischendorf).

      Lachmann and some early Tischendorf were likely, but definitely not
      Tregelles, which came later, during the 1870s as I recall.

      I did not mention the point, but certainly I would also concur that Hort
      had studied few if any MSS by age 23, but then, most seasoned
      textual critics of that era also had not worked with actual MSS in any
      great quantity, since there were no MSS and few reliable complete
      collations. Tischendorf was the first to really begin presentation of
      diplomatic evidence, followed by the massive labors of Scrivener in the
      1850s.

      Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D. Professor of Greek and New Testament
      Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary Wake Forest, North Carolina
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997