Re: Hort's prejudice against the TR

  • Maurice Robinson
    Message 1 of 1714 , Nov 3, 1996
      On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, L. Mark Bruffey wrote:

      > Is it true, as Pickering asserts, that Hort at age 23 had studied few if
      > any mss when he said he wanted to do away with the TR?

      At that time Hort was a young college student, and his statement regarding
      "that vile textus receptus" probably reflected more of his teachers than
      anything original to himself.

      This was a time (ca.1840) when textual criticism had already progressed
      away from the TR into critical editions such as Mill, and slightly revised
      texts such as that of Bengel or Griesbach, but the influence of Lachmann,
      whose 1830s edition was based _entirely_ upon early manuscript evidence,
      was probably the most significant item influencing Hort at that time,
      since it would have been strongly praised by his professors and fellow
      students of that era.

      Quite frankly, taken in context, Hort's quote is quite appropriate. The
      complaint was primarily in regard to anyone slavishly following "that vile
      TR" which "rested entirely on the evidence of late MSS" (I paraphrase,
      since I do not have the exact quote at hand). To that extent, even the
      pro-Byzantine proponents would agree with Hort -- the TR as an edition may
      be a fair reflection of a predominantly Byzantine texttype, but not one of
      us (nor even Burgon) would attempt to maintain any authority or viability
      for the TR, having been composed as it was from mainly late MSS.

      Pickering (as well as Colwell on this point) appears to make too much of
      this early statement of Hort as somehow reflecting a determined attitude
      to replace the TR with a non-Byzantine text, when his primary criticism
      was only over the matter of the TR being based on a few late MSS.

      Maurice A. Robinson, Ph.D. Professor of Greek and New Testament
      Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary Wake Forest, North Carolina
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4 4:26 PM