Re: More on 2427, family resemblances

  • James R. Adair
    Message 1 of 1714 , Nov 1, 1996
      On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Jack Kilmon wrote:

      > There seems to be a great parallel between textual criticism
      > and palaeoanthropology. We are examining small fossil fragments and
      > speculating on a common ancestor...looking for the "Lucy" of
      > manuscripts. Everytime a new fossil is discovered, we re-examine
      > the family (hominidae/Byzantine/Alexandrian) and it's genera, species
      > and sub-species as well as "tribes and clans." Textual variants are
      > like genetic codes.

      I see a parallel, too, between the search for a mitochondrial Eve and the
      search for the elusive archetypes of the gospels (and other books as
      well). I have thought for some time about the possibility of using some
      of the algorithms used to trace the human genome to examine biblical
      mss. Of course, I realize that the validity of some of those algorithms
      is disputed. Still, it would be interesting to see what they would
      generate in terms of an archetype.

      > I wonder if the 11Q New Jerusalem fragments just might
      > represent a holotype for Revelation.

      Could you elaborate some more?

      Jimmy Adair
      and