Re: Text und Textwert series

  • Klaus Wachtel
    Message 1 of 1714 , Nov 27, 1995
      On Tue, 21 Nov 1995, Jeff Kloha wrote:

      > I am beginning work on a STM thesis on the text of James. Fresh
      > collations are being made of the papyri and available uncials.
      > However, I need a selection of representative minuscules to consult.
      > The first volumes of the _Text und Textwert_ series analyze the
      > Catholic Epistles. My question is: While the volumes present
      > exhaustive studies of relationships among manuscripts in the "test
      > passages", has any work been published using this data to determine
      > exactly which manuscripts fall into special groupings? Have the Alands
      > or their Institut produced any classifications of manuscripts, or have
      > they simply supplied the data and left individuals to use their own
      > theories to group manuscripts (e.g., Colwell's multiple readings or
      > the Profile Method)?

      Barbara Aland showed how to use TuT for identifying a group of mss., which
      carry the text of the Greek exemplar of the Syra Harclensis of the Catholic
      Epistles in

      B. Aland: Das Neue Testament in syrischer Ueberlieferung, I.
      Die grossen Katholischen Briefe. (Arbeiten zur neutestamentlichen
      Textforschung 7) Berlin/NY 1986, p. 41-90.

      On the basis of B. Aland's work I developped a method to find groups of mss.
      at least as coherent as her group Hk utilizing TuT I:

      Klaus Wachtel: Der Byzantinische Text der Katholischen Briefe: Eine
      Untersuchung zur Entstehung der Koine des Neuen Testaments. (Arbeiten zur
      neutestamentlichen Textforschung 24) Berlin/NY: de Gruyter 1995, p. 56-72.

      For a general comparison of the possibilities offered by the TuT volumes
      compared to the Claremont profile method see

      B. Aland/K. Wachtel: The Greek Minuscule Manuscripts of the New Testament,
      in: The Text of the New Testament in Contemporary Research (Festschrift
      Metzger), ed. by B.D. Ehrman and M.W. Holmes. (SD 46) Grand Rapids: Eerdmans
      1995.

      For any questions concerning TuT or the text of James in general feel free
      to contact me off list.

      Klaus Wachtel, Muenster
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997