Re: Synoptic Harmonization

  • James R. Adair
    Message 1 of 1714 , Jan 31, 1996
      On Wed, 31 Jan 1996, Maurice Robinson wrote:

      > > There is no conscious effort to harmonize; rather, it seems that
      > > isolated words (AGAQH in Mt 19:16, SOU in Lk 18:20, MOU in Lk 18:21) are
      > > supplied from one or another gospel (cf. also the addition of ARAS TON
      > > STAURON from another context in Mk 10:21 Byz; also TI ME LEGEIS AGAQON;
      > > OUDEIS AGAQOS EI MH O QEOS from Mk and Lk in Mt 19:17 Byz).
      >
      > I would agree with the primary claim that there is no conscious effort to
      > harmonize, either among the Byzantine MSS or the Alexandrian MSS as a whole.
      > I would not accept the texttype-specific examples given above, however,
      > since I also fully agree that it is only "isolated words" which tend to
      > become harmonized, and that basically occurring in "isolated MSS" and not
      > texttypes as a whole. I see a key methodological error (which began with
      > Westcott and Hort) in attributing to entire texttypes elements which
      > properly concern only individual elements of that texttype, and then only
      > in "isolated case" examples.

      Certainly attributing elements to an entire text-type that are
      characteristic of only a minority of its members is unjustified.
      However, all of the examples I listed above from the pericope of the Rich
      Young Ruler occur in the majority of the mss, not isolated Byzantine
      witnesses.

      > > Without any indicator of parablepsis,
      > > accidental omission of 16 letters seems unlikely.
      >
      > But which MSS are we talking about? Not a large number, but also not all
      > genetically (texttype) connected; this is of some significance.
      >
      > Aleph*, however, is corrected by a near-contemporary scribe in this place,
      > which could maximize the possibility of accidental line-omission in the
      > case of that MS (line-omission is known frequently to occur in Aleph).

      How many letters per line are there in a typical line-omission in Aleph.
      I don't count more than 14 letters in any line of Aleph itself, and many
      have fewer letters. Of course, I realize that the exemplar might have had
      16 characters per line. Line omission was a central theme in A. C.
      Clark's (not the sci-fi writer!) _The Descent of Manuscripts_, in which he
      argued that the longer (Western) recension of Acts was closer to the
      original, since the shorter version was characterized by omissions whose
      lengths corresponded to a line or multiple lines (I can't recall the line
      length he used--was it perhaps 17 or 18 characters?).

      Jimmy Adair
      and
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997