Re: Future subjunctive

  • Carlton Winbery
    Message 1 of 1714 , Jan 31, 1996
      Maurice Robinson wrote;
      >The continued use and perpetuation of the Byzantine text remained centered
      >in Greece and Asia Minor throughout the entire period of Greek MS
      >transmission. Those favoring a Byzantine-priority hypothesis (which is
      >not precisely the same as a majority text position) clearly would
      >recognize the precise facts of history along with their impact, exactly as
      >they occurred.

      But this was a standardized regulated text and not a free flowing text
      where later scribes were free to correct and edit according to known mss
      but followed an ecclesiastical text. In the later part of the period it
      was virtually limited to the old Kingdom of Nicaea in a very limited area.

      >Byzantine Greek MSS were brought into the West after the sack of
      >Constantinople during the Fourth Crusade. However, the Western Churches
      >and monastaries had little use for the MSS written in a Greek they could
      >not read. That the Textus Receptus happened to be created initially by
      >Erasmus from the (primarily) Byzantine MSS he was able to obtain in
      >Western monasteries in and around Basel does not imply that the Byzantine
      >Textform in any way ever influenced the Latin Church tradition in Western
      >Europe. Even the Complutensian Polyglot continually had to place &&&&&&
      >in its Latin text where the basically Byzantine Greek text of that edition
      >had a longer reading. But there was no cross-influence from the Byzantine
      >Textform which affected Western Europe until long AFTER the Reformation
      >took hold.

      The editions of Erasmus plus those of Beza and Stephanus did bring the
      Greek closer to the Vulgate, note the Comma Iohannum. MacGregor and
      Bratton have also talked of influences earlier than that. In the period
      right before the reformation, there is some evidence that the Latin
      affected some Byzantine mss, eg. the 12th century mss where I John 5:7-8 is
      translated out of Latin into the margin in Greek with no articles. There
      is strong evidence of influence from Latin to Greek if not from Greek to
      Latin.

      Carlton L. Winbery
      Prof. Religion
      LA College, Pineville, La