Re: pronunciation of uncial

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 1714 , Oct 21, 1996
      At 06:09 10/21/96 EDT, KULIKOVSKY, Andrew wrote:
      >Now I know what a uncial is but I would love to know how
      >to pronounce this word properly...
      >
      >is it pronounced:
      >
      >1. yunsial >or >2. yunkial >or >3. unsial
      >or none of the above!!!

      Throckmorton's GOSPELL PARALLELS has a very useful pronunciation guide
      in it for text critical words. "Uncial" is pronounced "UHN-shuhl" or
      /,Vn S@l/ in ASCII IPA (Internation Phonetic Alphabet).

      Stephen Carlson
      --
      Stephen C. Carlson : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
      scarlson@... : and songs chant the words.
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997