Re: pronunciation of uncial

  • William Petersen
    Message 1 of 1714 , Oct 21, 1996
      Check a dictionary.

      My Random House gives only one pronounciation: a "soft" "C" --un'-she-el.
      The word's etymology, however, is Latin. Random house gives the Latin
      "uncia" as the origin ( which means a "twelfth" or a measure of length--and
      therefore doesn't really fit; they then direct you to "uncus"). "Uncus,"
      means "hooked, curved, or crooked," and this seems to be more accurate an
      etymology, esp. since Random House themselves define "uncial letters" as
      "having more curves than capitals."

      It is from the Latin that the various pronounciations arise. In classical
      Latin, the "c" was always hard, as in "can"--not soft, as in "city".
      Ecclesiastical Latin eventually softened the "c", so we hear "Cicero" as
      "sisero," not the classical "kikero."

      All in all, there both are frequently heard, and the difference is probably
      equivalent to "tomato" verses "tomaato."

      --Petersen, Religious Studies, Penn State Univ.

      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997