Re: Qoheleth

  • Tyler Williams
    Message 1 of 1714 , Oct 4, 1996
      First, there has been no new (or old) manuscript evidence that attributes
      Qohehet to Solomon.

      In regards to the tradition that associated Solomon with Qohelet (Kevin's
      post), this move was clearly part of a larger movement that associated
      Moses with the Torah and David with the Psalms, and associated wisdom
      with Solomon. What is significant is that the identification is only
      implicit in Qohelet; the author never comes right out and says he's
      Solomon (as opposed to the headings in Proverbs and Song of Songs, and
      the much later Wisdom of Solomon), and the allusions to kingship, etc.,
      stop after the second chapter (though I would argue that we are supposed
      to keep reading the book as Solomonic because of the implicit
      identification of Solomon with Qohelet in 1:1). To me it seems clear that
      the author adopts the persona of Solomon to make his point--and who
      better to test the limits of wisdom than the sage par excellance? (akin
      to fictional Akkadian autobiography, if you follow Longman's analysis).
      In regards to the views of Archer, Kaiser, and Unger who still maintain
      Solomonic authorship, I think that they would even be a minority among
      conservative scholars (though I could be wrong). The language and
      thought of the book clearly place it in the late Persian or Hellenistic
      period.

      -Tyler
      Tyler F. Williams
      Wycliffe College, Toronto School of Theology, University of Toronto
      Phone:(416) 963-9082 * Fax:(416) 979-0471 * E-mail:twilliam@...
      http://www.chass.utoronto.ca:8080/~twilliam
      Message 1714 of 1714 , Feb 4, 1997